In London, Canon has announced the successor to the highly popular 24-70 2.8L wide angle zoom lens. The new lens features fully redesigned optics that are said to offer amazing clarity, image quality and durability. It is both smaller and lighter then its previous model, allowing it to overcome some of the complaints of the first edition being rather heavy.
The new optical system has two Ultra-low Dispersion (UD) and one SUper UD aspheric elements which help the lens minimize chomatic aberration and color blurring. This is said to help result in a consistent sharpness and contrast through the images it is capable of capturing as well. Canon’s flourine coating and water and dust-proof construction help to minimize dust, dirt and finger prints on the front and rear of the lens, allowing your images to maintain high quality throughout the elements
The Canon 24-70 2.8L II also has a “lens lock” feature, allowing you to lock the zoom position of the lens at the extreme wide end to help prevent damage while transporting the lens from A to B.
- Ring USM, high-speed CPU, and image ptimized AF algorithms for fast auto focusing.
- Optimized lens coatings for exceptional color balance and minimal ghosting, florine coating on front and rear lens surfaces to reduce smears and fingerprints.
- New optical design utilizes 1 Super UD lens element and 2 UD lens elements to minimize chromatic aberration in the outer area at wide- angle; as well as eliminates color blurring around the edges of the subject, for images with high resolution and contrast.
- Combines 2 types of aspherical lenses to reduce spherical aberration, and achieve high image quality across the entire screen area and throughout the full zoom range.
- Zoom lock lever locks the zoom position at the wide end for safe transporting
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 24-70mm, 1:2.8
- Lens Construction: 18 elements in 13 groups
- Diagonal Angle of View: 84°-34°
- Focus Adjustment: Inner-focusing with USM
- Closest Focusing Distance: 0.38m/1.25 ft.
- Zoom System: Rotating Type
- Filter Size: 82mm
- Max. Diameter x Length, Weight: 3.5 x 4.4 in., 28.4 oz. / 88.5 x 113mm, 805g
Seemingly absent is an IS feature (Image Stabilization)